Hamilton, meet church apartments

The exterior of the former St. Thomas Anglican Church at 16 West. Ave. S. Tal Dehtiar has turned the 150-year-old building into rental apartments. Photo: Cathie Coward.
Tal Dehtiar in the “altar suite” in the former St. Thomas Anglican Church on West Avenue South. This one-bedroom, two-storey rental unit includes the stained glass window that was behind the altar, as well as two other smaller stained glass windows from the original church. Photo: Cathie Coward.
The “altar suite” at a former church on Hamilton’s West Avenue South. Tal Dehtiar has turned the 150-year-old stone building into rental apartments. Photo: Cathie Coward.
Many of the rental suites at the former St. Thomas Anglican Church on West Avenue South include original stained glass windows. Photo: Cathie Coward.
An interior hallway at 16 West. Ave. S. Photo: Cathie Coward.
A view of the kitchen in one of the former church’s basement rental units. Photo: Cathie Coward.
An exterior view of Tal Dehtiar’s rental apartment project at the former St. Thomas Anglican Church. Dormers were incorporated into the building to provide additional light in the two-storey units. Photo: Cathie Coward.

Spectator print edition: “Leap of faith / An ‘open canvas’ now complete” (August 23, 2022, A1–2) | online: “Leap of faith: Hamilton church converted into apartments.”

The Hamilton Spectator (est. 1846) is published by Metroland Media Group, a division of Torstar.

Photos: Cathie Coward.

%d bloggers like this: